Chronic pain is a constant companion to many people. My mother suffered from chronic sciatic pain for many years. The treatment plan included the traditional pain management therapies of Tylenol (various dosages) and eventually cortisone injections. Cortisone is a corticosteroid medication that is very effective at decreasing pain and inflammation in joints and other structures in the body. Research has shown that corticosteroid medications can cause bone loss and result in osteoporosis if taken orally or intravenously (IV) in high doses or for long periods. My mom is now 91 and still on many synthetic pain medications for chronic pain and has serious osteoporosis. Once a woman of tall stature, my mom is now completely stooped over unable to straighten up.
Although I have had periods of extreme pain in my life I am blessed that I do not regularly suffer from chronic pain. Recently I suffered from pain due to whiplash and I have one sacroiliac joint that sometimes screams at me with pain when I do heavy lifting. As a holistic wellness practitioner I work with many clients who have or have had chronic pain periods in their lives. Their goal, which is the same as mine, is to find pain relief solutions that are free of the harmful, unwanted side effects and that result in more serious challenges in the future like osteoporosis.
There are many natural pain management strategies available which are more ‘liver friendly’ as well as environmentally friendly; the waste from potent medications inevitably ends up going down the drain and into the environment. I use a combination of natural pain relief strategies which include energy therapies, visualization, meditation, massage and essential oil therapy and recommend these to my clients.
I was introduced to essential oils several years ago and was amazed at the therapeutic properties they provided. Not only are they a great natural pain relief choice, but unlike traditional pain medications, they promote healing – an ultimate bonus. Because they are all natural they will not hurt the environment. Some essential oils are adulterated, which means other unknown oils have been added to them. I use pure therapeutic grade essential oils, which is why they are the oils that I recommend.
CLIENT FEEDBACK: Natural essential oil pain management recipes that have worked for my clients and my pain challenges
- Marjoram which has muscle relaxant properties applied full strength topically to the area of pain provided a topical anesthetic type of relief. Applied in layers it provided lasting relief.
- Marjoram taken internally with frankincense which has anti-inflammatory properties (6 drops each) every three to four hours provided relief equivalent to Tylenol 3 without unwanted side effects. Some clients put the drops in capsules others put the drops in water. This combination provided one client with broken bones relief equivalent to the Tylenol 3 she was taking without the unwanted side effects. This was my ‘go to’ for my whiplash pain which also rippled down my spine to my sacrum.
- A roller bottle blend of helichrysum, lavender, marjoram and roman chamomile used topically helped with nerve pain.
- Peppermint or wintergreen applied topically to the temples and back of the neck provided almost instant headache pain relief.
- Wintergreen applied to the sacroiliac joint provided pain relief and the added bonus of bone healing and regeneration – great for osteoporosis prevention which can happen at joints with chronic stress and strain.
- A combination (3 drops each) of vetiver, marjoram and lemon taken internally (in a veggie capsule) provided pain relief as an alternative to Tylenol (500 mg).
- A combination of frankincense, marjoram and lemongrass (20 drops each in a roller bottle topped up with FCO) used topically provided pain relief.
- Deep blue (30 drops in a roller bottle topped up with FCO) which is a combination of wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, ylang ylang, helichrysum, blue Tansy, blue chamomile, and osmanthus provided instant relief when applied topically. It also comes in a cream rub.
- Copaiba is reported to provide amazing pain relief results for many. You can listen to the information about why this essential oil is so effective in managing pain at
Every person’s pain is different and every person reacts differently to pain and pain remedies, synthetic and natural. Finding the ‘right fit’ for your pain takes some tweaking. The same is true for using essential oils for pain management. The preceding information is from client feedback and also my personal experience. What works for you may be different. If you would like to try essential oil therapy for pain management contact me and I can guide you. Follow ‘My Green Medicine Cabinet’ to learn what essential oils I use for symptom relief and healing.
Elisabeth Hines, C.N.C., C.B.P. Holistic Wellness Practitioner, www.mybodycanhealitself.ca