A PLANT SLANT DIET – For ‘a healthier you’
I made the decision to adapt a ‘plant slant’ diet for a number of reasons. There are many health benefits to be gained by making the transition, as well as other benefits for the planet.
- Watching the National Geographic Blue Zones video How to Live to 100 (https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/dan-buettner-live-to-100-vin) was an eye opener.
- Many of my family members and other loved ones suffered with various diseases in the years before they passed away. Understanding that people who live in the Blue Zones are exempt from many of these diseases made it a ’no brainer’ for me to make the shift to and promote a plant slant diet.
- Watching the video FORKS OVER KNIVES: A healthy lifestyle choice that can reverse and prevent disease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZb-35oV_7E further reinforced my decision.
- Research Shows That a Healthy Diet Will Slow or Stop Most Cancers – https://www.forksoverknives.com/science-says-about-diet-and-cancer/#gs.r=wOu88.
- Ten Diet-Induced Changes That Slow and Reverse Cancer – https://www.forksoverknives.com/science-says-about-diet-and-cancer/#gs.r=wOu88.
- Understanding that we can get adequate nutrition, including protein from a plant based diet and that our planet cannot continue to support the large ‘meat eating’ population also impacted my decision. The Protein-Combining Myth
- Do Vegetarians Get Enough Protein by Dr. Michael Gregor’s – https://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-vegetarians-get-enough-protein/.
- What I Wish Someone Had Told Me In Medical School About Nutrition by Dr. Michael Klaper https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=44&v=IvlaQJImt9w
- Comfortably Unaware by Dr. Richard Oppenlander https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_irghaBmwX0 further opened up my mind about foods that I need, and what I should and should not eat.
- Understanding the possible health risks of eating meats also influenced my decision:
Analysis of Burger Market Finds Unwanted Ingredients: Rat and Human DNA – http://fortune.com/2016/05/10/burger-market-analysis-rat-human-dna/
Animal Protein Compared to Cigarette Smoking – https://nutritionfacts.org/video/animal-protein-compared-cigarette-smoking/
How Not to Die From Cancer – https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-cancer/
- A plant slant diet is a common denominator in documented cases of Radical Remission of Stage IV and other cancers.
- Can You Eat Your Way to Better Health? Your brain needs the right mix of nutrients to stay healthy and function well. According to East Berkshire Primary Care Out of Hours article the wrong foods can affect your mental health.
- MIND over Mediterranean: Australian study suggests MIND diet reduces the risk of dementia.
- Power Foods for the Brain: Science has shown that your diet can play a major role not just in health, but in brain function and prevention of common cognition disorders.
- NUTRIENT POWER: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J. Walsh illuminates new scientific developments that can aid those with schizophrenia, anxiety, and more.
As an Amazon Associate I earn commission from qualifying book purchases on this page.
- WHAT’S GOOD FOR THE PLANET IS GOOD FOR YOU – http://www.scientistswarning.org/critical-stress/diet/
Climate Change is a serious reality and changing your diet to ensure that our climate is protected is a important consideration in adapting a plant slant diet. One study, published in October in the journal Nature, found that as a result of population growth and the continued consumption of Western diets high in red meats and processed foods, the environmental pressures of the food system could increase by up to 90% by 2050, “exceeding key planetary boundaries that define a safe operating space for humanity beyond which Earth’s vital ecosystems could become unstable,” according to study author Marco Springmann of the Oxford Martin Programme on the Future of Food at the University of Oxford.
Making the transition to a ‘plant slant’ diet can be daunting. Many people worry about getting enough protein if they go ‘plant slant’. This is not true.
If you are shopping and cooking for one, like I am for most meals; efficiency and cost savings are key while maintaining a healthy diet in the midst of a busy lifestyle. Where possible I use fresh and organic ingredients. Next best category is pesticide free.
I using muscle response testing for health protection while shopping to ensure that products are safe for me. On a recent shopping trip to a well known health food store, of three different organic sweet potatoes, only one was actually safe for me. I teach my clients how to use muscle response testing for health protection while shopping for food. I you are affected by different foods, either through allergic reaction or digestive distress, muscle response testing for health protection can provide your with safety, confidence and relief.
GET STARTED with your ‘plant slant’ grocery shopping today! A well stocked pantry of healthy plant protein alternatives will make meal preparation easy.
To ensure that I always have nutritious meal options available I make large batches of soups, stews and other meals as ‘planned overs’, and freeze them in 250 ml canning jars or mini class casseroles dishes. These are easy meals that thaw quickly and very nutritious poured hot over or serves with shredded greens or quinoa . I like to top my soups with a spoonful of organic radish for a punch of flavour.. Adding some pureed kimchi also adds a zip and more health benefit. Red lentils are a staple for me. I use them in vegetable soups, cabbage rolls and curry. Red lentil pasta is an excellent protein packed alternative to wheat past. Quinoa is another staple that I use as a protein substitute for rice. My desire for comfort food prompted me to make my first batch of lentil and quinoa cabbage rolls. Delicious with garlic and herb mashed potatoes. I made the sauce with sun dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, onions and garlic. I googled a recipe and then did a combination of two recipes plus my own slant. Enjoy experimenting!
As an Amazon Associate I earn commission from qualifying product purchases on this page.
If you adapt a plant slant diet you may need to add B12 supplements. Vitamin B12 is Necessary for Arterial Health – https://nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-b12-necessary-for-arterial-health/. Spirulina and blue green algae – interfere with B12. Eat sea vegetables on days you do not take B12 supplements.
Ideally we should get our protein from the whole plant products not a protein powder. Check to make sure your ‘greens’ or protein mixes do not contain sea vegetables if you are taking B12 supplements on the same day. If you have autoimmune conditions be cautious of protein powders and hemp proteins – https://draxe.com/hemp-protein-powder/. Also be cautious of stevia added to products.
Let me guide you in your transition to a healthy ‘plant slant’ diet. Your body and brain will be healthier and happier, allowing you to get on with your life and the pursuit of meaningful goals. Interested in hosting a ‘plant slant’ make and taste event?
Elisabeth Hines, C.N.C., C.B.P., Holistic Wellness Practitioner, www.mybodycanhealitself.ca, firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Us On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HealthbyDesignForAHealthierYou/
Follow Us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/elisabethlhines/