“If you don’t need a pill or supplement to get fat, why would you need them to get slim”
Obesity and excess weight are weight management issues that result from your body storing calories that your body has not used, this can be due consuming more calories than your body requires and changes in metabolism. In some people, some medications interfere with normal metabolism and result in weight gain.
FACTORS THAT AFFECT YOUR METABOLISM AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT
As you age your body’s metabolic rate tends to decline. Realistically then, the response should be to eat less and move more. In most cases this is not a first weight management response.
There are multiple factors that interfere with the normal body processes responsible for metabolism that contribute to weight management issues. Body pollution and stress hormones and the interference and dysfunction they cause can seriously impact metabolism. Hormone disruptors that are a part of your body pollution and those that you consume and use on your body, are serious offenders. Some medications and supplements can alter the body’s normal metabolic mechanisms. Emotional distress produces stress hormones which disrupt the body’s other hormones. Excess cortisol leads to a heightened appetite and cravings for sugar and simple carbs, contributing to increased belly fat. The hormone leptin is supposed to signal you to stop eating when you are full. Ghrelin, the hunger hormone counteracts leptin and other hormones and tells the body it’s time to eat.
A HOLISTIC WEIGHT MANAGEMENT STRATEGY
Many of my clients are still struggling with weight issues. I have also carried unwanted extra pounds. The holistic approach to weight management that I use with clients deals with all aspects of the EXCESS WEIGHT EQUATION. You, undoubtedly will share some of the same common denominators.
- Deal with your body pollution – Stop adding more hormone and metabolism disruptors to your body and environment. What does your body’s potentially harmful chemical equation look like? LEARN MORE. DETOXIFY your existing body pollution. .
- Deal with your stress hormones – Use stress management tools and strategies to keep your body calm and balanced – this will help you in your weight loss quest. My book THE WHOLE PERSON WELL-BEING EQUATION has an extensive section on understanding the impact of stress and stress management strategies. Read the blog post on life balance at http://mybodycanhealitself.ca/wordpress/?p=140 for more information.
- Deal with your ENTITLEMENT ISSUES. These are the messages that your inner voice sends you that give you permission to eat that extra goodie or snack, or ‘larger than you body needs’ helping of your favourite food. Here are some examples of those inner messages: ‘I had a hard day, I’ve had a really hard life, I worked really hard today, I had a really bad day, I deserve a treat, I’ve lost ____ lbs, I’ve denied my self for ____, I’m retired now so I should be able do what I want.’ ENTITLEMENT ISSUES are a major weight management issue. Repeat the affirmation “I have/have had enough to maintain my body” after eating calorie appropriate meals; to help you counter those inner messages.
- Move – Adjust your physical activity/movement to burn more calories. Add on blocks of extra movements every day.
- Nutrient Assessment – Assess your calorie needs and specific need for carbohydrates, protein and fats. This information can be found in my book.
- Portion control – Adjust your calorie intake. Start by reducing portion size by 25% and go from there.
- Find out what may be interfering with your metabolism by determining your ‘weak list’
- Use GENERAL BODY SCAN visualizations and customized BODY SCAN visualizations to reset your body’s ‘mixed up’ or ‘disrupted’ metabolic and body responses. These can be found in my book THE WHOLE PERSON WELL-BEING EQUATION. This is an excerpt from my book on visualization.
“Does visualization really work? Is there any real proof it works? How can you know you are not wasting your time? Experiments conducted by Dr. Bruce Lipton, medical school professor, research scientist and author of Biology of Belief and other scientists, show that genes and DNA are controlled by signals from outside the cell, including the energetic messages emanating from positive and negative thoughts. According to Jill Bolte Taylor, a brain scientist who suffered a stroke at age 37 and author of My Stroke of Insight, “The focused human mind is the most powerful instrument in the universe, and through the use of language, our left brain is capable of directing (or impeding) our physical healing and recovery.”
- Body Scan Visualization #4 helps to reset your body’s HPA (hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal) stress response. Multiple factors can interfere with and damage the normal HPA stress response.
- Body Scan Visualization #13 helps to restore your body’s primary default settings and responses. These can be altered by multiple factors.
- Body Scan Visualization #18 helps your body to maintain healthy emotional responses.
- Body Scan Visualization # 23 helps to stop your body’s faulty responses.
- Body Scan Visualization # 37 helps your body to restore normal insulin production and regulation.
- Body Scan Visualization # 38 helps to increase your body’s metabolic rate to more efficiently metabolize your calorie intake (you will still be required to maintain an adequate level of physical activity for the calories you consume daily).
- Body Scan Visualization # 39 helps reset your appetite to match your body’s nutritional needs. Multiple factors can increase your appetite.
- Body Scan Visualization # 40 helps reset your satiety to match your body’s nutritional needs. Multiple factors can interfere with your satiety (feel satisfied/that you have had enough) after eating.
ADDITIONAL WEIGHT MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES
My book THE WHOLE PERSON WELL-BEING EQUATION provides more information to help you in your quest for weight management.
- Various herbs promote detoxification and improved metabolism aiding in weight management.
- Nutritional assessment and diet planning for weight management.
- Information on healthy fats. The correct ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fats is crucial to avoid chronic inflammation, a weight management issue.
- Strategies to protect your liver, important for weight management.
- Strategies to balance hormones.
Wishing you wellness and success on your weight management journey! If you liked this post please click the Facebook Like button at the end of this post. Thank you!
ENJOY better health today!
Elisabeth Hines, C.N.C., C.B.P., Holistic Wellness Practitioner, www.mybodycanhealitself.ca
Copyright © 2013, Elisabeth Hines
All rights reserved. No portion of this post may be copied and distributed in any manner without the written permission of the author or publisher and associates.